Friday, April 24, 2009

Katelyn Sings the ABCs and Happy Birthday!

Katelyn has always had a love of singing, but she never sang the actual words to the songs. Instead, she would either hum or put her own "spin" on the lyrics. For example, she might sing to the tune of "This Old Man," but say, "Swing, swing, swing...swing, swing, swing...car, car, kitty, baby, mama, dada, kitty."

Then on Tuesday afternoon, she started singing the ABCs song all on her own! I was starting to sing, "A, B..." and she took right over and sang the entire song, even with the full ending! I couldn't believe it because just that morning I had told one of her ABA therapists that my next goal was to teach her to sing the ABCs all by herself. As always, Katelyn amazed us all! She also has been singing Happy Birthday to everything as well, almost to the point of it becoming an obsession. Her favorite thing to sing Happy Birthday to is a "triangle," (she says ga-ga-gangle) so every night before bed we sing Happy Birthday to the triangle (any triangle...she isn't picky).

Here is a video that I took of her on Wednesday night. She is singing the ABCs and then she sings Happy Birthday to the "triangle" -- it is really a couch pillow, but she calls them "triangles" because she is obsessed with the corners of the pillows. She knows the correct shape is a square, and will say it if you ask her, but she continues to call them triangles anyway since her latest obsession is finding triangles everywhere. I hope you find this video of Katelyn as entertaining as we do :) And thank you as always for following my blog!

6 comments:

Amazing_Grace said...

LOL! That was so cute! :)

Katiebear said...

OMG!!! I love it :) How wonderful. I bet it brought tears to your eyes

SusanC said...

Oh, she is amazing! H-I-J-K-apple-lemon-pea. :) I love it!

Shannon, you and Kevin are doing a remarkable job. You're all so lucky to have each other. <3

lalmypal said...

So sweet. I know you just want to wrap her up in your arms and hug here to pieces.

mommyjill said...

Oh how her singing sounds like my son's! You can't understand half of it- you just know the tune :) Lucas loves to be squeezed just like that and rocked in your lap- he seeks this from me all day long. The triangle obsession cracks me up- Lucas' obsession right now is numbers 1-10 LOL :)

JJ said...

I love how she claps out "l,m,n,o,p" she has a great sense of rhythm