Sunday, February 14, 2010

Right Back Where We Started From...

It has been quite a while since I last posted and a lot has happened since (including the birth of our baby boy, Trevor Kyle, in January!)

In December, Katelyn had a bout of pneumonia and it really set her back. Up until then, she had been really progressing well. However, being very sick for over a week, coupled with then being out of school for winter recess, she really regressed in terms of her behavior and willingness to do things independently. Her control issues also escalated and she became even more demanding than before.

After doing some research and talking with other parents of children with autism, we decided to try a course of Nystatin since she was on amoxicillin for the pneumonia and antibiotics often can cause an overgrowth of yeast in the body, especially in children with autism. We have yet to see any improvement. In fact, as time goes on, her behavior has been getting far worse, both at home and now at school.

We are now suspecting that something else is going on in addition to her autism that is causing her to behave this way. Her teacher and therapists have never encountered a child like Katelyn and they are as baffled as we are. We have tossed around the idea that perhaps it is obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) or even depression that is causing her to be so demanding and controlling, but now we are leaning more towards oppositional defiant disorder (ODD). I had heard of ODD way back when I first read about autism, but at the time I did not feel that Katelyn fit that profile whatsoever. Now, however, she seems to fit it to a tee.


Here is a brief description of oppositional defiant disorder:

In children with Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD), there is an ongoing pattern of uncooperative, defiant, and hostile behavior toward authority figures that seriously interferes with the youngster’s day to day functioning. Symptoms of ODD may include:
  • Frequent temper tantrums
  • Excessive arguing with adults
  • Often questioning rules
  • Active defiance and refusal to comply with adult requests and rules
  • Deliberate attempts to annoy or upset people
  • Blaming others for his or her mistakes or misbehavior
  • Often being touchy or easily annoyed by others
  • Frequent anger and resentment
  • Mean and hateful talking when upset
  • Spiteful attitude and revenge seeking
We have been seeing an increase in aggression both towards herself and to others, especially to her sister, Ashley. Thank God she has not directed any of this towards Trevor, but I worry that it is only a matter of time before the novelty wears off. She is also starting to hit other children at school without any reason other than the fact that they walked by her. She has been increasingly demanding and controlling, and she deliberately seeks to annoy or upset others, especially me unfortunately, probably because I am the main disciplinarian since I am with her the most. She will purposely defy us, even if it means forfeiting privileges that she earned, and begged for, moments earlier. If we say yes, she says no. If we say no, she says yes. Every single aspect of our lives with Katelyn has become a constant battleground. She cuts off her nose to spite her face.

Because this is interfering with her at school and at home, we have decided to pursue psychiatric evaluation for Katelyn. Our first step is going to be getting her re-evaluated by the same doctor who diagnosed her autism. This will take place in March and we will get the results of the evaluation mid-April. We also put her name on a waiting list for a local center specializing in children's behavioral health, but they said that we will most likely not hear from them for at least two months to book an evaluation.

So now the waiting begins once again...the not knowing...the hoping that getting a diagnosis will offer some sort of help for our child and our family as a whole. We are right back where we started from when we first began this journey back in 2008, but this time it feels much different to me.

When receiving the diagnosis of autism, I threw myself into advocating for my child and learning as much as I could about autism, but this is really affecting me to my core. I cannot express how difficult it is to deal with the fact that your child may have a disorder that causes her to want to purposely upset you, or that creates such turmoil inside of her that she no longer enjoys things that she used to because she is in a constant battle within herself. I am often reminded of the nursery rhyme line: "And when she was good, she was very, very good, but when she was bad, she was horrid." And what makes it worse is that I know in my heart that this is NOT my child...this is not who she was just a few short months ago. And I will do everything in my power to ensure that this is not who she will be forever.

2 comments:

Jacqueline Gauthier said...

We have a lot in common. I have actually read that nursery rhyme and thought it was spot-on for my little Maddie. Maddie is darling, precocious, and smart and everyone just thinks she is adorable when she is at school or other therapeutic activities. At home though, she can be moody, aggressive, mean, and seems to enjoy the reactions her defiant behavior evokes. Sometimes it really scares me. I am so tired of having to convince others that something is not right. Sigh. Anyway, I wanted you to know I do follow your blog and that our little girls seem similar.

Giraffe's Song said...

Thanks, Jaxident! Although I wish you didn't have to experience this with your daughter too, it is nice to know that there is someone else who understands :)