Monday, January 12, 2009

The Verdict Is In...

Kevin and I met with the doctor at the autism diagnostic center today to discuss Katelyn's official diagnosis. She has been diagnosed with Autistic Disorder (classic autism), and she is considered in the moderate range right now. In order to be diagnosed with autism, a child must meet 6 of the 12 criteria, and Katelyn met 9 out of 12. However, the doctor did explain that meeting more criteria does not necessarily mean that the child is more severe; it depends on which of the criteria is met.

The doctor feels strongly, as do we, that Katelyn will be very successful with intensive therapy (25+ hours per week, including ABA, speech, OT, and more), and that she will most likely improve significantly. She said that she would not be surprised if Katelyn is considered mild within a year.

What happens now?

The next step will be getting her set up, through her current Early Intervention provider, with a specialized team that will provide the intensive therapy. When Katelyn turns 3 in July, her services will then be provided through the public school system. When I asked whether Katelyn would be in a regular pre-school classroom with an aide, the doctor explained that, because of her speech issues, Katelyn would benefit most from a 1:1 or 1:2 ratio, and then once her speech improves significantly, she could be integrated for part of the school day in a regular pre-school classroom with a 1:1 aide. I also asked about what will happen over the summer since she turns 3 in July, but pre-school does not start until the fall. The doctor said that Katelyn will need to receive year-round services (so there will be no gaps in her therapy), so she will need to be involved in a summer program through the school as well.

The doctor also highly suggested that Kevin and I become involved in a support group for parents of autistic children, which is something that I plan to look into further. I already frequent an online support forum (www.autism-pdd.net/forum), which has been unbelievably helpful.

Thank you to everyone who has been following my blog. This is going to be a lifelong journey for us, and having friends and family (and even internet "strangers") who offer support, experiences, hugs, and more, really means the world to us.

6 comments:

mommyjill said...

So glad you finally got a diagnoses- that is often half the battle! I think my son falls under this same umbrella of classic autism....since you live in another state it may be different but the summer program at the school he is in is very minimal in care provided- only a few kids qualify to go and it is about 1/2 day a couple days a week. We have to step up ABA during the summer to make up for it- I hope that is not the case for you. Anyway early intervention is key so congrats on that and best wishes to you sweet baby girl!

wiebke said...

hugs honey. It must be a relief to have a final diagnosis, yet incredible hard to wrap your head around.

if you ever need anything, shoot me an email. my close friend has a son with autism and he is now completely integrated into preschool and is just about "cured" (via diet and therapy). I'd be happy to get you in touch with my friend if interested. She is a very strong advocate for her son and I think is a good ally to have. She's also an expert on the diet (no soy, casein, dairy, etc).

wiebke@step-3.com

-Wieb from MS2

Anonymous said...

Shannon, I just wanted to leave a message here too. You sound like such a great mom. Your blog brought tears to my eyes. I'm glad you found your answers. I wish there was more I could do besides sending internet hugs your way. I pray you continue to have the strength you need.
Hugs,
Holly

Dorene said...

Hugs!! I didn't know you were seeing about this today - but am glad I saw the posts on the facebook and came here to investigate. I know the feelings you have and have been through it three times myself (in all different ways with three kids) and know how that feels. Hugs.

I'm so glad you're getting ABA - we were never able to get that. Ryan is having an equivalent to floor time though which I'm really happy about. He gets about 2 hours a week, and then goes to school full time with speech & OT and sensory diet.

Soupy said...

Hugs! I'm an Early Childhood Special ed teacher, as you know, and work with kids K's age -- I have a classroom (3-5 program). If you have any questions about anything along the way, don't hesitate to let me know! I want to help! Early intervention is truly the key!!! and of course, the love you are giving is wonderful!

Katiebear said...

Shannon,
I just wanted to leave a message here too. You are a great mommy. And I know you will do what is in the best interest for therapies with making sure they meet her developmental wants and needs. We sound like we are going through the same thing in away. I'm here if you ever want to vent away, you know we've been there and still are trying to figure things out.