Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Oh, No. It's Santa.

Because I obviously have a need to be in a constant state of stress, I decided to take the kiddos to get their picture taken with Santa. For the last 2 years, Katelyn never had a problem with Santa. In fact, she was always intrigued by his soft beard, fuzzy outfit, etc. Well, given her reaction to getting her photos done recently, I expected that this year would be different.

Katelyn was very excited about all of the lights and the Christmas tree. She even enjoyed meeting Santa and checking out all of the presents near his oversized green chair. But when it came time to actually take the picture (i.e. Mama leaving the scene), that was when all Hell broke loose. Katelyn begged for me to stay with her while I tried to convince her to sit nicely for the picture (yes, I'm trying to reason with a 2-year-old). Not only did Katelyn get upset, but Ashley started crying as well. Great, now even the baby who never cries is crying!

With Ashley screaming and Katelyn running away from Santa, the photographer interjected some reality: "I don't think this picture is going to happen, Mom." However, I was not leaving without getting a picture of my girls with Santa. It is a tradition, afterall! Since it was clear that both girls were not going to sit pretty for Santa like I had hoped, I decided to go with plan B...Mama will have to be in the picture as well, sans make-up, sans shower, clashing outfit and all. I really wish the mall Santa photographers had access to Photoshop. Not to mention, Santa looks thrilled :)

Although it is definitely not what I had hoped for, at least I got my picture of the girls with Santa (and, unfortunately, me). I'm sure I will look back on this and laugh, and most of all, be grateful for the silly memory.

2 comments:

Katiebear said...

awww what a beautiful photo!

Positively Autism said...

I think you guys look great! It's a beautiful picture.

I'm glad you got the photo, but I'm sorry you had a rough time. I think you're right, it will be something to look back on and laugh in the future.

Merry Christmas to you!

Nicole Caldwell, M.Ed.
www.PositivelyAutism.com
Free Autism Newsletter and Resources