Saturday, December 13, 2008

Bad Day at the Office...

Yesterday was Ashey's 6-month doctor visit. I didn't expect there to be a problem since the appointment was for Ashley and not for Katelyn. Boy, was I wrong!

Katelyn started out okay for the first few minutes, but then she saw a man sitting in the waiting room and said, "Hi Dada." He laughed and I explained that she calls all men "Dada." Well, then she proceeds to run to him saying, "Dada!!!!!" I go get her before she leaps on him and at first she is laughing. Then she goes into a fit of RAGE! She started screaming at the top of her lungs -- I thought the windows were going to crack! She was flailing, kicking, punching, screaming "Dada!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and she even resorted to biting and clawing me. I was holding both of her arms so tight and she was fighting me, which was so hard. She kept screaming for Dada, but I was trying to explain to her that it wasn't Dada. He didn't even look like him! The man felt awful.

This went on for over a half hour, with the entire waiting room just looking in disbelief. I almost lost my mind. I told myself I had to keep calm because if I lost it in public, it would do no good for anyone. Finally, they called Ashley's name. I was about to go to the window and see if they would please take her sooner since Katelyn was having the worse meltdown she EVER had, and in public.

It felt awful to have her go through this, and it was certainly embarrassing to me since it happened in public, although at the time I tried really hard to ignore all of the stares. The worst part of all was that I realized that this was only the beginning -- there will most likely be MANY more days like this, and many more stares to ignore. That makes me so sad, not for me, but for Katelyn. Hopefully once she gets her diagnosis, we can proceed with therapies to help her (and me) in these situations.

Needless to say, I will never take the 2 girls to the doctor's office by myself again :)

1 comment:

SusanC said...

Oh, Shannon, many hugs to you and that beautiful child.