Friday, December 19, 2008

Completely Fried...

My computer, that is.

My hard drive completely fried today out of nowhere. I was in the middle of typing an email and everything froze, and the only way to reboot was to push the button on the tower. When it tried to restart, it said, "Missing Operating System" -- well, after hours and hours and hours on end of trying everything possible to fix it, we realized that we can't even reinstall the operating system...we have to buy a new hard drive.

Now, luckily I have an online backup program called Carbonite (highly recommend this...it has saved me twice now from losing everything) so almost everything is recoverable. However, I had uploaded a ton of video clips of Katelyn and was working on making the movie to bring to her evaluation on Monday. I was almost done and that is when the computer crashed. I hadn't even had a chance to back up the movies, and unfortunately, they are all deleted off the camera. I am SO upset that the videos are gone forever. I finally had captured some awesome evidence for her evaluation that she NEVER does outside the home and rarely does it when we are around (because we usually redirect her).

I guess it isn't the end of the world, but making that video was one of the things that I've been focusing on all week to relieve my anxiety that they won't diagnose her. I felt so confident being armed with the videos and now they are gone. Not to mention, I have to spend every waking moment now trying to reinstall everything on my desktop once Kevin buys the new hard drive tomorrow (gee, the malls shouldn't be too crowded the last weekend before Christmas, lol).

Merry Christmas to me! :)

No comments: