Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Katelyn's Evaluation...

Finally, we have an answer -- well, at least a partial answer to the main question that I was so desperately needing to hear.

Katelyn has autism. My daughter has autism. Finally I know, and I can breathe.

After months of worrying that the doctor would not see the signs that I knew in my heart were there, the doctor reassured me that she is indeed on the spectrum. Upon hearing this news, I thanked the doctor over and over, and I told her that she didn't even know how much weight she had just taken off of my shoulders. I know it must sound strange to think that a mother would be relieved, even happy, to hear that her daughter has autism, but when you have known in your heart and your gut since your child was a newborn that something was different with her, all you want is validation for those feelings, along with knowing that your child will now receive special services to help her be as successful as she can be throughout her life.

I am not one to cry about anything, even devastating news, but I cried the entire ride home. I was so overwhelmed with the relief of hearing the answer disclosed, even though I had known 100% all along that it was true. Hearing those words, "Katelyn definitely is on the spectrum," took away all of the heartache and worry that I had been holding onto for months, fearing that they wouldn't see what I knew, fearing that she wouldn't get the help that she needs.

We will receive her official detailed diagnosis on January 12th, which will outline exactly where she falls on the autism spectrum, and what specific services she will need.

Now, the journey truly begins.

10 comments:

seoulmate96 said...

Shannon, I've been following your blog anxious to hear how Katelyn's appt would go. I know it must be wonderful to know that now you guys can move forward and get a plan in action.

Sending hugs to you and sweet little Katelyn. xoxo Ang

Anonymous said...

I am so relieved that you now know! It seems like it's the not knowing is always the worst part. Now you can prepare your mind, your heart, your life. And while I can only imagine that this journey will be a difficult one, thank heaven Katelyn has you and husband to be there with her every step of the way.

Hugs and love to you!!!

SusanC said...

Shannon, I'm so glad you got the answers you needed to be able to plot your course. I wish you peace and strength, and I'm glad Katelyn has two wonderful parents who will do the very best for her.

Merry Christmas to all of you.

wiebke said...

hugs honey. I'm glad you have answers, but I'm sorry that you're dealing with this at all. HUGS to you and your family. You're such an awesome mommy-- K is lucky to have you fighting so hard for her!

-Wieb (Veeb from MS2)

mommyjill said...

Hugs to you and your family Shannon- it is a long hard journey fighting autism but at least you know you have support and love from those of us out there who are in the same battle- best of luck to you and your precious little girl!

Stephanie Christine Photography said...

Shannon,
This must be so tough for you all! But I am happy for you that you got the answers that you needed. Now it's time to go forward and get her the best care that you can. You sound so positive about the situation, and I know that will be a great deal of help to K and her future. Keep your head up and K, as well as the family will achieve anything to set for too! Good luck and keep us updated!
Hugs!

jnell4duh said...

Shannon, found your blog through another child with autism blog. I work with a child that is in 1st grade at a public school. She has great parents, their one regret is not getting her ABA training earlier. So I am so proud to see your acceptance of your daughter's autism, and your willingness to get early intervention. Both of my daughters work with ABA with young children. They have seen such remarkable progress in their students! Keep your chin up and know that with you have taken the first step in the right direction!

Anonymous said...

Shannon, I'm so glad that you finally have the answer you were hoping for. No one wishes for this but you have a fantastic outlook. Katelyn is wonderful little girl and will benefit SO much from the intervention she will now receive thanks to your mother's intuition. Sending you lots of love and positive thoughts! Melissa

Anonymous said...

The Autism Speaks 100 Day Kit is created specifically for newly diagnosed families, to make the best possible use of the 100 days following the diagnosis of autism.

http://www.autismspeaks.org/docs/family_services_docs/100_day_kit.pdf

Anonymous said...

Don't worry - I truly understand the relief part! Though Joshua didn't have autism, when he was evaluated and the doctor confirmed my own concerns about his speech delay and social delay, I was also relieved! I knew something was wrong, and having someone validate it - especially someone who can give your child the special care they need to be successful - is definitely relief.

I am sorry to hear about Katelyn's autism, but am so glad you have an answer and can begin focusing on helping her, instead of that fearful wondering if the doctors will see and give her the help she needs.

We're always here if you need us! Give us a ring; we'd be happy to bring dinner over.